Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Useless Handrails

All across the city of Tallahassee, FL there are new sidewalks being built.  Most of this construction is being done on a major parkway near my home.  Which is great!  But along with the new sidewalks come handrails.  Maybe it's just me but I usually see handrails for stairs, corners, businesses, or in parks.  But this is my first time seeing them by normal sidewalks.  Not only do they not have any noticeable use (next to high fall offs, handicap access, bus stops etc.)  but they are small in size (about 5 feet) and randomly placed along the sidewalk.  Who thinks of these things?



After driving several miles and trying to figure out the need for these random handrails I noticed how they are placed wherever there is a drain that goes to the sewer.  I guess that means a lot of people might take note of them and decide todays the day they finally can take an afternoon dip in the gutter.  Without the balance of handrails it was merely a dream before.



Let's stop building these handrails and start putting money into sidewalks in neighborhoods that don't even have them (like mine.)

1 comment: